Saturday, February 25, 2012

Hermanus Weekend

February 3rd through the 5th I went with the VAC group for a two nights stay at the coastal town of Hermanus. Unfortunately it wasn't the right time of the year, but Hermanus is known for fantastic whale sighting. Instead we went for the backpackers (hostel) experience, with some shark cage diving, wine tasting, and soaking in the sun. 

The wonderful Hermanus backpackers that hosted us for two nights.

The backpackers had an amazing backyard, complete with pool, braai, and picnic tables.

This was painted on the backpackers fence. It perfectly fit the mood of the weekend.

Our colorful room. I got a top bunk!

Dinner the first night.

Because I had already been shark cage diving I didn't go with the group who went this weekend, but I did lend them my waterproof camera. They took some amazing pictures, so I've posted them here so all of you can see them. They came back raving about the shark biting the cage just inches from their fingers. The water was cold, but I think everyone had a good time.

A great photo taken from the boat.



Some good underwater shots.

This isn't a shark, but I thought the it was a neat picture from inside of the cage.

Scary!

Another interesting shot.

Just a few feet away.

Here is when the shark came in contact with the cage while going for the bait. Notice Kat frantically scrambling out of the cage.

Kat, Keira, Chelsey, and Sam. Survivors of the shark attack. 

Since I was not cage diving I got to explore the incredible Hermanus wine country. We visited three wineries and had a great time sipping wine with the beautiful scenery.

At the first winery.

Enjoying wine tasting next to a lake.

It was a perfect summer day in South African wine country.

The second night at the backpackers I finally got to have potjie! Potjie is a South African dish, which translates literally to "pot food." As far as I understand it's whatever food you have on hand, thrown into a cast iron cauldron, and cooked over a fire. Our potjie had chicken and various vegetables served over rice. Like most of the food here, I loved it.


Sunday morning after sleeping in and eating a breakfast of toast and coffee by the pool, some of us made our way to the waterfront for a bit of swimming and sunbathing. It was a great way to finish up the trip and we weren't ready to go back.

Swimming with some Hermanus locals.

No comments:

Post a Comment